Otoprof is the first self-cleansing ear-wax dissolvent. It provides deep cleaning of the ears of dogs and cats that produce large amounts of cerumen and secretions. Gentle sedation is recommended before use. It contains dioctylsodium sulfosuccinate a surfactant that reduces the surface tension of oil- and water-based soluble liquids, and dissolves earwax. Carbamide peroxide turns into urea, hydrogen and oxygen in contact with air. This combination makes a very potent wax dissolver and produces air bubbles that bring the wax to the surface, where it can be easily removed. Propylene glycol is a mild wax dissolvent that prevents dehydration of the skin. This should not be used in either dogs or cats with ruptured eardrums.
- Dioctylsodium sulfosuccinate
- Carbamide peroxide
- Propylene glycol
- pH 6.7
Directions for use
- Sedate the patient.
- Shake the bottle well before use and apply the fluid into the ear canal.
- Gently massage the base of the ear to activate the foaming action.
- Make sure the product does not run out of the ear before it has time to work. If necessary, use cotton wool to plug the ear.
- Remove the debris dislodged by the foaming action and rinse the ear thoroughly several times with saline or lukewarm water.
- Dry the whole ear and canal carefully.
- Due to the deep-cleansing action, wait for several minutes before applying ear drops.